Wednesday, July 17, 2024

Keep Moving

If you can’t run, then walk, if you can’t walk then crawl, stretch, or flex. Just keep moving.

Living an active lifestyle can be a challenge in the best of circumstances. Add living with Multiple Sclerosis symptoms such as fatigue, foot drop, and heat sensitivity, and it’s generally frustrating and takes more effort to stay motivated. Factor in adverse weather conditions, and it’s a huge undertaking to override the urge to be sedentary.

With MS, it’s common for symptoms to act up when the body temperature increases. That’s why hot weather is one of the many obstacles to staying active. When I was still learning how MS affected my body, it was scary when a jog led to body numbness from the neck down and an inability to control my feet reliably.  Over time, I learned to differentiate between heat and exertion-induced pseudo-exacerbations that would subside within an hour or so after I cooled down and disease-progressing exacerbations that last much longer. 

It helps me to remember that my body needs movement, and all of the reasons to not exercise don’t change that. 

What to do with this immutable fact?  Remember creativity and flexibility are superpowers to draw upon for living with health issues and less-than-ideal conditions.

I’m not apt to follow a strict fitness regimen, because I need to respect my body’s ever-changing needs. A menu of exercise options with various exertion levels is useful for right-sizing activity to accommodate my MS symptoms of the day. The same approach is true for the weather.  During a heat wave, my body might be okay with outdoor activities if it’s in the shade, there’s a breeze, or scheduled before or after the hottest parts of the day. Varying exertion levels help too. I may not be up for a jog, but a walk might be doable. When it’s not conducive outside due to extreme heat or smoke, I’ll use the yoga mat inside for some stretching and strength movements. 

When creating your activity menu options, consider the following:

  • What do I already do or like to do, and how can I keep doing it? What accommodations will help?
  • What do I want to do, and what would it take to do it?
  • Which combination of benefits, location, type, and exertion level will work on this day?
    • Benefits: movement, strength, stretch, balance
    • Location: outside, inside, gym, pool, trails
    • Type of Activity: gardening, housework, playing with kids, biking, hiking, walking, dance, yoga
    • Exertion level: most activities can be done gently or with high intensity, quickly or slowly.  

Using yoga as an example, yoga can be done with a range of exertion, location, and benefits. There are endless variations including high-intensity hot yoga in a heated studio, Acroyoga classes with a partner, moderate-intensity yoga focusing on flexibility and strength, low-intensity yoga focusing on relaxation and breath work, chair yoga, and even bed yoga.  They can be done in a class setting or at home following videos or free-form and self-guided. If one type or location doesn’t work on a specific day, another will. 

Seek inspiration everywhere and use what you can to keep going. While the following was said for much grander and more important social issues, I think of it whenever I need motivation. 

“If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.”

― Martin Luther King Jr.

I’ve modified it for fitness purposes to be:

If you can’t run, then walk, if you can’t walk then crawl, stretch, or flex. Just keep moving.

The other saying that helps me feel grateful for all I can still do seems to be loosely based on a quote from Tolkien’s Return of the King:

“There will come a day when I cannot do this. Today is not that day.”


No comments:

Post a Comment