Monday, July 1, 2013

Flying With Room To Fall: Being Active With MS

First swing
Split - Final Position
I’m lifting myself higher and higher, literally and figuratively.  I’m living on the premise that the higher we go, the more room we have to fall.  So if I work toward excellent health, mobility, and balance, I’ll have a longer fall before I’m not in good health, mobile, or able to keep my balance.  With Multiple Sclerosis (MS), the assumption is that some amount of cognition, mobility and function will be lost over time.  The disease modifying drugs will slow damage from the disease, but they won’t stop or reverse damage.  Much like sunscreen will allow you to stay in the sun longer before sunburn, disease modifying drugs will reduce the frequency of exacerbations so that damage will hopefully take longer and better health can last longer.

Waiting to hear "Hup!"
Ready for the catch...
...And caught!
Surprisingly, I’m having a blast lifting myself up!  I’ve always been active, but now I choose activities that bring me joy.  I’m having so much fun that I don’t have enough time or energy to do everything I like.  Gone are the days where I would rise at 4:30 am and hit the treadmill before work or bust my rump to a workout video.  I loved the results and felt good exercising, but it was always a feeling of, “I need to work out.”  Now I enjoy activities with the feeling of, “I GET to do this!” 

It was during an exacerbation when I saw a Groupon for a trapeze class.  Knowing I would feel better at some point, I bought the Groupon without hesitation.  My rationale was if I don’t do it now, I likely never will!  And they’re willing to let me trapeze without years of training or joining the circus! (Seriously, the requirements are that you're over the age of six, under 250 pounds, and not drunk!)

I’ve been four times so far with friends and family, and I have seven more classes paid for and ready to use.  I’m ready!



1 comment:

  1. That is an amazing succession of photos! I love the mentality of being active while doing the things you love. You rock!

    ReplyDelete