Sunday, September 22, 2013

My Latest Kitchen Love

The box seems to promise loads of fun!
I've fallen in love with my latest kitchen gadget purchase - the Japanese Turning Slicer!

I hoped making zucchini noodles would satisfy my hankering for pasta while staying true to the Autoimmune Protocol. Cutting out so many foods can make it difficult to not feel like I'm depriving myself.  It helps to consider the texture, flavor and beauty of a meal so that I'm not tempted to eat foods that negatively affect my health. This week it was fun being creative in the kitchen and thoroughly enjoying the decadent and satisfying results!

The Turning Slicer looks
strong and happy!
I bought the slicer through Amazon and anxiously awaited delivery.  The Turning Slicer came in a whimsical Japanese box with illustrated instructions that crack me up whenever I see them.

My first try involved making zucchini and carrot noodles, with the carrot sliced smaller than the zucchini. Using the slicer was super easy once I understood how to position the blade correctly. I cooked the noodles in the wok stir fry style with ground turkey.  It tasted good and satisfied my pasta fix, but the zucchini noodles started to break down against the heartiness of the more sturdy carrot and turkey.  Next time I try zucchini noodles I think I'll stick to making it like pasta in a flavored water separately from the rest of the dish.
Ground Turkey, Zucchini & Carrot Noodle Pasta 
seasoned with Fresh Garlic, Rosemary, Sage, 
Thyme, Salt & Coconut Oil.

Ground Turkey, Asparagus, Parsnip & Carrot Noodles
with Fresh Garlic, Rosemary, Sage, Thyme, Salt & Coconut Oil
My carbon steel wok is huge and
another favorite in my kitchen. 
The next night I tried parsnip and carrot noodles instead.  Cooked in the wok the texture was a perfect al dente.  It's exactly what I was seeking, and I'll make it again.
Beet & Kale Salad with Green Onion and a  Dressing of 
Coconut Aminos, Coconut Vinegar, Maple Syrup, Olive Oil and Salt
Served with a Turkey, Pork & Kalamata Olive Patty and Avocado
Next I tried a cold beet salad and called it a success when both my non-beet loving family and I judged it delicious!

Sunday breakfast was a great time to try sweet potato hash browns, and I was happy with the results.

Sweet Potato Hash Browns
Sauteed in Coconut Oil and Seasoned with Salt
Served with a Turkey, Pork & Kalamata Olive Patty and Pear
According to the instruction booklet, there are Five Merits of the TURNING SLICER

  1. Fifty servings in five minutes
  2. Improves luster and taste 
  3. Five horse radishes can be served as six 
  4. Excellent durability
  5. Easy to use

I agree it cut veggies in record time, made the texture of the vegetables complement the meal, and was easy to use and clean. I can see how it would stretch vegetables to serve more people, but I'll take their word on needing five horse radishes stretched.  The Japanese Turning Slicer has earned a visible, easily accessible spot in my kitchen.  Two thumbs up!


1 comment: